Getting metal dental braces can be a big decision for patients and their parents. A suitable age to start braces will be around the time when all baby teeth have fallen out, which usually is around 12 to 14 years old. A typical braces treatment duration is around 2 years and this requires a patient’s commitment to maintain oral hygiene and take care of his or her teeth during this time.
Braces are not just for kids or teens. Adults may get braces to fix an existing dental problem, while others might choose to get braces just because they want straighter teeth. Nevertheless, you should schedule for a dental checkup as early as possible to detect any dental or jaw issues. Some dentofacial problems can be corrected with early braces intervention while in growing stages.
Some reasons to get traditional metal braces early include:
- Minimising risks of gum disease and tooth decay
- Improving your overall appearance
- Correcting dentofacial deformities
- Prevention of crowding of the teeth, thus avoiding problems associated with teeth that are abnormally positioned
- Breaking bad habits like thumb-sucking and chewing on pencils or pens, which can cause chipped or broken teeth